An active adult apartment community is a great option for people over 55 years of age. It allows them to live among their peers, in a community where it’s easy to interact socially, get good, healthy food, and stay active. What’s more, when you live in this kind of apartment community, you don’t have to worry about home repair, lawn care, or maintenance. You can focus on enjoying your retirement and doing the things you enjoy doing. If you’re considering moving to an active adult community, though, there are some questions you should ask to make sure it’s the right fit for you.
- Are the units for sale or for rent? Some active adult communities offer both options. You might find, though, that renting is much easier than buying. When you rent, you don’t have to worry about a down payment, you can move if you find it doesn’t suit you, and you won’t have to worry about keeping up with maintenance.
- What’s included in the price? When you’re comparing the price of different communities, make sure you know what you’re getting for your money. Does the monthly fee include meals, laundry, and membership fees? Are there any charges that aren’t included in that base price? If so, what’s the cost for those extras?
- Who will be your neighbors? One of the greatest things about an active adult community is the interaction and comradery between the neighbors. If you don’t enjoy your neighbors, though, it could be a less than enjoyable experience. When you’re considering an apartment community, do what you can to meet the neighbors before you make a final decision. Some communities have guest apartments where you can stay for a night or to in order to determine whether or not it’s the right place for you.
- How does this community deal with emergencies? Make sure you’re comfortable with the staff’s capacity for handling emergencies before you commit to living there.
- What are the available amenities and services? Some communities offer scheduled activities, including exercise classes, seminars, and special events. Often, transportation to worship services is provided, and some facilities offer regular excursions around town. Some offer transportation to other places, too, like doctor’s appointments and shopping. There may be a fitness center, a café, a pool, a coffee shop, a library, or other onsite amenities. Make sure the amenities and services line up with your expectations before committing to a community.
- What kind of dietary options are available? Is there a formal dining area, a pub, or a café? Are meals provided and included in the cost of rent? Do residents have access to their own kitchens, and is there access to communal or outdoor kitchens? How often does the menu change? Is there a nutritionist on staff? Getting the answers to these questions can help you determine if the community is the right fit.
- Where is the community located? You may need to choose a community that’s close to family or your place of worship. You may also have preferences about whether it should be urban, rural, or suburban. Take a good look at the neighborhood before you decide to move there.
- What are the rules for residents? There may be restrictions on pets, or guests, or how you can decorate the outside of your home. Check the limitations to make sure you can live with them before deciding on which active adult community you’ll choose.
When you’re ready to find an active adult living community, consider Larkspur at Creekside. A family-owned and managed 55 plus community, we offer resort-style apartments and cottages in New Braunfels, Texas, with an emphasis on active living. We give our residents the chance to transition from the responsibilities and burdens of home ownership to a lifestyle of convenience and luxury, full of new friends, new activities, and new adventures. You are also welcome to attend one of our many community events for a sneak peek into our 55+ active adult lifestyle. To learn more about life at Larkspur at Creekside, call 830-625-2277, or contact us through our website.