The winter can be a beautiful time of year, but it’s also challenging. Poor weather conditions can prevent people from spending much time outside, and it’s easy to become bored and restless. Especially for active adults, it can be difficult to find ways to occupy the time during these cold, bleak months. Here, we offer some fun and safe activities to help you make the most of your winter days.
- Exercising indoors is a great way to stay fit in winter. Winter weather can make outdoor exercise dangerous, but that’s no reason to be inactive. Chair exercises, hand strength and coordination activities, yoga, and stretching can be a great alternative. You can easily find workout videos to follow or take some classes at our community fitness center to stay active and social!
- Playing games helps you connect with your neighbors. Board games, electronic games, puzzles, and cards are all great ways to spend time with others while having some fun. Whether you’re enjoying game night at a friend’s home or participating in a bingo game or other scheduled event, you’ll be helping to keep your mind sharp and fend off seasonal depression.
- Use your downtime to learn a new skill or hobby. While you’re spending time indoors, you might as well put your time to good use. Learn a new craft or skill or teach yourself to cook a new recipe. You can find how-to books and videos at the library and online, or you can take classes to learn new skills while you’re connecting with other people and enjoying social interaction. Our community also offers many events such as cooking demos, book clubs, and clubs to help you explore new hobbies and passions.
- Curl up with a good book. Of course, you can read any time of year, whether you’re reading poolside or reading by a cozy fire. There’s something particularly satisfying, though, about filling a chilly winter afternoon with a good book. Don’t have the patience to sit still and read? Consider an audio book while you’re going about your daily routine.
- Connect with friends and family members. When you interact with other people, it helps the time pass more quickly and makes winter more fun. Host a game night or book club, have a weekly dinner with friends or family, or participate in a hobby that involves other people. If you can’t get together in person, take advantage of technology to get together online or over the phone. If you live in an active adult community, take part of some of the scheduled events and classes offered, where you can meet new people and form lasting connections. Be sure to check out the monthly event schedule at Larkspur at Creekside to plan your robust social options !
When you’re ready to find an active adult community with plenty to occupy your mind and body all year long, consider Larkspur at Creekside. A family-owned and managed 55 plus community, we offer resort-style apartments and cottages in New Braunfels, Texas, with an emphasis on active living. We give our residents the chance to transition from the responsibilities and burdens of home ownership to a lifestyle of convenience and luxury, full of new friends, new activities, and new adventures. To learn more about life at Larkspur at Creekside, call 830-625-2277, or contact us through our website.